Tuesday, November 20, 2007

SLEEP STOPPERS?

I have this bad habit of getting up in the middle of the night, not because that I wanted to. My wife often asked me "must you always get up in the midst of my sleep? You know what, once I am awake, it would take me a long while before I could fall asleep again?" Sleep seemed to elude me ever since I changed my medication for my Hypertension. Before the change of medication, I could sleep quite often than not until morning without much interruption. When I asked the doctor whether I was suffering from insomnia, he reaffirmed that certain medication could compromise sleep but not serious enough to keep a person awake throughout the night. He further asked me whether I had done some light exercises and kept my mind free from problems before going to bed. With that note, I accepted his opinions. I scanned my brain by recalling what I had done and should not do before sleep. I discarded the habits of drinking too much water, turn off the bright lights, stop watching my favourite TV programmes and meditate before sleep. During those moments of sacrifices, I had less urge to rush to the toilet so often as before. I could sleep without much interruption, most probably, due to physcological changes.

Among the other reasons, we may observe the followings:-
Lower the thermostat. A warm office will make you sleepier. Keep the temperature in your bedroom consistent. Variations in your environment can interfere with sleep.
Steer clear of the onion rings. When your body is busy digesting a fat-laden meal, the stomach is full, nutrients are absorbed, and hormones are released. Result of all this activity: zonkiness. Eat healthfully, and you will be alert as well as lean. You would also do well to avoid foods and drinks high in salt (water retention can disturb sleep).
Catnap. Even a 15- to 20-minute daytime nap can increase alertness, revive memory, and reduce the symptoms of fatigue. Limit your sleep to less than an hour, or you'll awake groggy and compromise your nighttime sleep. If possible, you should schedule your snooze for sometime between 2 PM and 4 Pm, when your circadian rhythms are most condusive to slumber.
Difficulty falling asleep. Stress is the most likely culprit. In the 1998 Women and Sleep Poll ( WSP) 34% of women said that stress affected their sleep. Caffeine or nicotine close to bedtime may also be to blame.
Wake up repeatedly. Avoid alcohol close to bedtime. Liquor-induced sleep is not as restful as natural sleep, and when the alcohol wears off, you are likely to waken suddenly.






























No comments: